Thursday, September 18, 2008

Sucking too hard on your lollipop

So I think I may be the only person in the world who hasn't heard that song, or even that expression, before today. I don't really hear any music that doesn't come directly from Noggin or Disney anymore so I shouldn't be surprised. When I first read it I thought, ohhh that can't mean anything nice...I mean when 50 Cent references lollipops in his music it's nothing I'd want my kids understanding, if ya catch my drift. But I'm a sucker (jeez...no pun intended) so I looked it up. Here's what good ol' UrbanDictionary.com had to say:

sucking too hard on your lollipop - 1. dwelling overly long on a subject to the point of being obsessive.
Example: Woman: "It's been a week since my date and that guy hasn't called me back yet!" Friend: "You're sucking too hard on your lollipop, girl. Let it go already!"

Well wouldn't ya know it? Not only is it not dirty, but it's 100% me. The perfect description of what it is that brings me down, makes me depressed, and keeps me from enjoying life. I can't let things go. I don't hold grudges so much as I dwell on people and things that have hurt me, things that worry me, and most of all, what people think of me. Yep! There it is again...evidence that I have the disease to please...I'm a people pleaser in it's ugliest form. Somehow that keeps getting thrown in my face this week. I think perhaps I better take it to heart and start doing something about it.

And maybe I'll just go out and buy me a bag of DumDums. Appropriately named I do believe. Only dumdums waste precious time sucking too hard on their lollipop.

No comments: